Focus Izalco Max Ultegra Road Bike 2016
Bringing all of Focus’s performance orientated technology down to a more accessible price, the Focus Izalco Max Ultegra Road Bike 2016 is a lot of bike for the money. Their primary focus has been the perfecting the balance between performance orientated stiffness and weight reduction, which has enabled them to produce this Ultegra Izalco Max at under 7 Kg for the 56 cm, truly incredible.
The fork has been a big area of development, with its full carbon fibre construction coming from one seamless piece. With this you get superb lateral stiffness for performance with the necessary shock absorption to remove the vibrations coming from the road to boost comfort.
A technology that seems likely to have come from their extensive work with the AG2R La Mondiale team, Focus individually design each frame size so that all of them offer the perfect balance of stiffness to weight that their engineers desire.
This may not be there top specification on this frame, however Shimano Ultegra 6800 eleven speed components are hard to beat. Silky smooth and reliable shifting will feel like you are riding the most expensive groupset with only a slight weight penalty.
The feeling of quality also comes from the inclusion of a stylish Fizik Antares R5 Manganese, which will also help relieve pressure during longer rides. This is paired with the Fizik Cryano handlebars which is a great upgrade as most manufacturers try to cut corners with cheap handlebars.
Finally the DT Swiss R20 Dicut tubeless wheels are perfectly balanced, they also will give you the snappy response you would want from this bike that is undeniably ready to race. Thankfully, should you just want it to rack of some fast miles of recreational riding, then the carbon seatpost adds another level of comfort to that already provided by the saddle and excellent frame design.
- High performance road bike
- Impressively lightweight at under 7 Kg for the 56 cm
- Quality carbon finishing pieces, such as the seatpost, stem and Fizik Cyrano R3 handlebar, add comfort and save weight
- Shimano Ultegra 6800 is hard to beat with its smooth and reliable 11-speed gearing
- Fizik Antares R5 Manganese saddle matches the frameset colour and supports you perfectly
- DT R20 Dicut tubeless wheels paired with Schwalbe Pro One tubeless tyres are responsive, durable and lightweight with the removal of inner tubes eliminating the chances of pinch flats